Back in October, I had the honor of visiting Sam the Cooking Guy and the crew over at The Sam Livecast. It was a total blast. I showed up, we chatted, I watched some cooking, and next thing I knew, it was streaming over the internet. Dan said I didn't seem like too big of a spaz. Unfortunately, with fall being as busy as it was, I didn't have a chance to post about my visit.
The episode is here. I always cringe when I hear myself on a recording, like on camera or on voicemail. Yes, I do sound that ridiculous.
Sam, his wife Kelly, and his crew, including Jessica, who found me on the interweb, were incredibly warm and welcoming. They offered me lots of yummy eats and I settled on the couch with Lucky and Haley.
The hour of the Livecast went by so quickly and was hilarious. Afterward, we chatted briefly and then it was time to go. I was amazed that the whole production is in Sam's dining/family room. I was really excited to see the kitchen and the beautiful red tile backsplash that Dan and I admired from many an episode of Sam's.
Sam is a former biotech executive turned cookbook author and cooking show host. He also gives live cooking classes and next Saturday is a stage show at the Joan B. Kroc Theatre. Here's the, as Sam calls it, official propaganda:
This fun night mixes the best parts of a live cooking show with video clips, behind the scene stories, a Q&A and a book signing. And for the career uninspired, Sam will share his hilarious, yet motivating story of how he went from being a frustrated biotech executive to cooking on TV. If you ever wondered if Sam is as quirky off camera as he is on, this is your night to find out. Starting off the evening will be Australian flair bartender Hayden Wood who has been featured on Oprah, opened for Guy Fieri on his US Tour- and been called the most entertaining bartender in the world. Join Sam for this entertaining night, and a portion of the proceeds will go to support Salvation Army/Kroc Center scholarship programs - it allows kids to do what they do best, just be kids.
And here's the show's webpage.
We're big fans of his work and Dan is already rounding up cookbooks to ask Sam to sign when we head to Sam Live on the 18th. You know you want to join us, so jump into this giveaway of two tickets, worth $60 each.
How to Enter:
- Leave a comment on this post telling me about your favorite Sam the Cooking Guy recipe. Please ensure that you leave your email.
- Tweet the following (don't forget the @MeanderingEats): @MeanderingEats I want to go see Sam Live!
- The comment and the tweet will be counted as individual entries, meaning you have two chances to win the tickets.
The Fine Print:
- Giveaway will run until 11:59 PST on Wednesday, February 15, 2012.
- Entrants will be assigned a number in the order their comment or tweet was received. The winner will be selected using Random.org and announced on Thursday, February 16, 2012.
- Due to our tight timeframe, I will try to contact the winners immediately and make arrangements. If you do not respond within a given period, as noted in the email, I will pick another winner.
- Tickets will be made available via will-call.
As for me and Dan, here are two of our favorite Sam recipes.
Spicy Garlic Brussels Sprouts
Sam's Kettle Corn